The purpose of the PROFAN 2.0 [Preventing and Reducing Overdoses / Training and Accessing Naloxone] training program is to raise the awareness of community service users, their families and friends in order to prevent and reduce the number of overdoses and train them on what to do when it occurs with or without the use of naloxone.
The training is intended for anyone using community services, as well as for former or current substance users, their families and friends.
General Objective of the Program
Learn how to act in an opioid overdose situation
Specific Training Objective
Following the training day, participants will be able to act quickly and appropriately in opioid overdose situations or where there is a risk of an opioid overdose and potentially save lives.
The participant will be able to:
- Know opioids, their uses and associated risks;
- Identify ways to prevent opioid overdoses;
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of opioid overdoses;
- Act in opioid overdose situations;
- Access and administer naloxone;
- Provide immediate cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) in opioid overdose situations.
Duration of the Training
One full day – 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Theoretical presentation given by two peer trainers or by an experienced practitioner and a peer trainer, supported by data and concrete examples, videos, case studies, testimonials and punctuated by discussions and practical exercises.
Participants will be given a participant’s workbook, including theoretical and practical elements, as well as other reference tools.
Details and Conditions of the Training
- Group of 8 to 10 people
- Coffee, lunchbox and material provided on site
- Financial compensation of $50 per participant, provided by the training team
- Intervention protocol in an overdose situation memory aid provided by the training team and naloxone kit (according to governmental modalities)
- Reference documents available to participants in an online toolbox
- Certificate of participation in the PROFAN 2.0 training program handed out on site
Organizations who wish to host one or several trainings in their region or individuals who want to attend one must notify us of their interest by filling this online form by July 31st at the latest.